Monday, September 6, 2010

We're finally here, on so many levels!

Life seems a bit surreal these days. I feel like I should pinch myself each day as I wake up, except that I really don't like being pinched.

We are settling into our new home and it's hard to describe how wonderful it feels.  Fred and I have owned this land since before Freddie was born and to finally be living here is more amazing than I could have imagined.  The boys seem to really love it here and Fred is finally calming a little. It's been quite the road to have traveled, but it was worth the wait. At this point in our lives we know not to take anything for granted, which makes everything about where we are that much sweeter.

Logan keeps us on our toes as usual, but every day we seem to see a little more of his sweet personality fighting to be seen. There is not a sweeter smile in this world (other than Freddie's maybe) than Logan's since we are seeing it more than once each day.  And when I say smile I mean the kind that shows teeth!! For anyone who has been around Logan and watched him as he would just look at you, speak to you with his eyes and try desperately to convey his emotions, it brings tears to your eyes to see that precious smile finally make it's way to the surface. One of these days I will capture it with a camera of some sort, but I can tell you that it has found a permanent place in my mind and my heart. It is one smile I will never forget and one I hope to see more of each day.

While he's been doing so much better with his feeding tube and after weaning one of the medications a little, he did have a little trip to see our friends at Levine recently.  He developed a low grade fever last Monday night and was sneezing quite a bit. We thought he might be getting a cold, but had no idea that come Tuesday morning we would be headed to the ER in an ambulance. He went from bad to worse pretty quickly, but as always with respiratory infections with Logan he just needs a dose of antibiotics, fluids, oxygen and suction to start to turn the corner. Typically his blood work is fine other than a little something that leads to further testing.  The same was true this time and it led to a spinal tap. Luckily nothing came from any of the tests or cultures and it was determined that it must just be something viral.  We are finally learning how Logan works though and finally have oxygen, a pulse oximeter and suction at home in the hopes of avoiding future hospital stays for viral upper respiratory infections!  It takes us a while sometimes, but we eventually catch on.

I would like to give you an update on his seizures, but I want things to continue down the path we seem to be headed. Take that as good news, but that's all I'm going to say about it. Prayers are welcome though for me to continue to have nothing to update about them...if you get my drift.

Freddie starts back to school tomorrow and I'm having trouble with it. It's preschool, you would think I would be a little better at it since he's already been going to preschool for two years. Still, now that I'm home with him - even though it will be great for him to play four mornings a week away from home with friends his own age and I won't have to fight with him over the TV, snacks, being quiet while Logan is sleeping, being quiet while the therapists are here, being quiet while I'm on the phone - wait...where was I with this original thought? As hard as it is sometimes I am going to miss him. It's the best thing in the world for everyone, it's just that he is growing up before my eyes and I can't slow it down. Not that I want to put him in a bubble, but wow, it really happens fast. He makes me so proud it brings tears to my eyes. He's had to grow up so much, but at not quite 4 years old, that child has qualities that I couldn't teach most adults I know. God is at work on more than me that's for sure. Thank goodness  His hands are here touching our sweet Freddie. One of these days I'm going to simply post some of the things he says. They are truly priceless. I can't begin to imagine what God has in store for him.

Everyone else is doing well.  Our nurse is wonderful.  And bless her sweet heart, Logan slept all day on her second day here, then on her fourth day was carried out by EMTs to a waiting ambulance and in the local children's hospital for two days. Guess we've broken her in well.

We still haven't been able to give Nana that big break she deserves, but we're working on it.  I think it might actually happen in the near future. Although Nana, if you're reading this, I wouldn't give too much weight to the previous statement. You know how this family operates! :)

All kidding aside, things seem to really be changing around here and I hope and pray they continue to do so. It's not that I expect miraculous changes, but we, the four of us, went to the mall today and survived. We all had lunch together, walked through a few stores - the normal things that families do. It was beyond wonderful. Fred and I both talked about how nice it was to be out with just our family. Like I said before, it's a long road sometimes but so worth it.

Okay, enough babbling. I'll post pictures, which are much more fun.  Plus, if I get this done pretty quickly I'll be in bed before midnight!

He's found his favorite spot!

So sweet!

Lunch on the patio with Nana...the BEST!

Our beach trip to Kiawah.  So fun!

A late night walk on the beach. 
Not as much a fan of the dark once on the beach, but still a fun adventure!

Fun in Papa's fishing boat!

More fun in Papa's fishing boat...with Liam this time!

Sweet baby Julia!  Freddie wants one of her for our house. 

See what I mean?  He said "Mommy, I think she likes me!" Just precious!

Our sweet friend Liam. He and Freddie love playing together!

"Skiing" compliments of Daddy/Uncle Freddie.  So fun!

If only you could feel this photo....it was a glorious morning 
just outside of our back door. I was truly overwhelmed.

The path Fred laid from the house to the lake with slate 
from Nana and Papa's house. We're keeping it in the family!

BEFORE - As much as this photo breaks my heart to see, 
it truly portrays how sick our little angel was that day.

AFTER - And then this one which shows how quickly things can change just a few short days later. Nothing short of the power of prayer. This is the one that brings tears to my eyes.

This one seems to sum it up best. A sunset cruise with Daddy. 
We...are...home.

I pray to always be thankful for the little things in life. My heart has never been so full. To see our children smiling and content...I simply couldn't want for more. 

Sweet dreams little ones...I could never love you more. 

No comments:

Prayers for output!

A lot has changed in almost 17 years of hospital stays.  The beds feel smaller, the bathroom seems smaller and the pull out ‘couch’ Fred and...