Sunday, July 24, 2011

Transformations

There is a TV show on now in which people are experiencing transformations...of the physical kind.  Extreme Makeover, Weight Loss Edition.  As much as I never planned to watch it, I saw three full episodes.  The boys (all three) were usually sleeping by the time it came on, so I watched each episode by myself.  I watched each week as each person not only experienced the physical transformation, but a transformation of almost every part of their life.  It was at times heart wrenching to watch and at times heart warming.

It's ironic that a TV show could stir a desire in me to want to make some major changes and then beginning  those changes with canceling our cable.  I love God's sense of humor!

Transformation feels like the perfect way to describe what is happening with our family. It feels like we are being transformed from a family who is getting-by-making-do-enjoying-life-here-and-there-when-we- can-in-the-midst-of-all-the-chaos-that-is-our-lives TO a family who is in control of their lives. A family who is becoming in tune with each other, the life we live, enjoying the ups AND the downs, going through the ins and outs TOGETHER and learning to make OUR OWN rules, what works for OUR family and being confident in each one of those decisions.

I have been tied to a television in my life since I can remember.  It has never seemed to be a bad thing really, just something that was part of my life. When I met Fred he would have been happy to never have one in our house, but he let it go as something that I felt like I needed.  From time to time he would refer to it as the "Devil's Box" and tell me how he wished we could just get rid of it.  I always need it as a way to "wind down" or so I thought.

While this really is not life changing when looking at life as a whole, it has been somewhat life changing for me.

While the TV has only been off for a couple of days, I think these changes have been in the works for a while.  When I start to write it out it all somehow feels less sincere.  I just wish I could transfer the stirring inside of me to words.

It's not the TV, that I know for sure.  God is in the transformation business and he is doing a number on me.

We'll leave it at that for now, until I can come up with a way to describe all that is happening that will do this transformation justice. I know it is not going to be easy or always make sense, but I hope and pray I can simply keep my focus where it needs to be. If I can do that, nothing is impossible.

What I will do though, is provide a glorious update on my sweet family!!!  What a wild and fun summer it has been so far!

We have had so much fun with so many friends on our new dock!  I never imagined that we would enjoy living here as much as we do. One of the most wonderful parts of it is having a place for friends and family to visit and enjoy fun on the water!

Freddie has learned to ski on the shark ski this summer, he is now holding his breath and going under water, which wasn't happening even a month ago.  He loves jumping off the dock and loves simply playing in the water with his Daddy.  He has been doing a few camps this summer and is seeing an OT each week to just help with some things that he hasn't been exposed to yet, but will be in school next year.  He adores them and has so much fun going to "therapy" although it doesn't seem anything like therapy.  It has been wonderfully eye opening for us to learn about him and ways to help him become the best Freddie he can be!  I am so unbelievably excited for him and all that awaits him in life.  He continues to amaze us, frustrate us, keep us on our toes, entertain us, enlighten us and make us truly grateful for the gift of children.

Logan has been busy as well!  We discovered that one of the nurses that was working for us "allegedly" let him taste some strawberry yogurt. I didn't mistype that.  TASTED STRAWBERRY YOGURT.  The child who is on a special diet that does not include carbs or sugars and who is not to be fed by mouth.  We're pretty sure this is what caused the seizures to show up recently.  But we are very thankful that they have been mild and sporadic.  He seems so much better overall since it all happened, so hopefully we are past all of that as an issue. He had a sleep deprived EEG recently as well and the results appear to be better than we have seen in past EEG's.  It is still not what would be considered normal, but who said any of us would be considered normal if you looked at how our brains functioned?!?  We are also talking with his neurologist about starting a very slow taper of the last seizure medication he is taking.  When we had his labs done we saw that the medication was not even at a therapeutic level, which means it's really not doing anything for him anyway!  WHOO HOO!!  It's unbelievably exciting to think that we could start to see his personality continue to come to life.  Anything is possible.



Fred and I are well also.  Without the distraction of the TV we are actually finding time to talk and hang out.  Who knew?  It's amazing how much less stressed we seem too, because the time that we have is all ours and doesn't get eaten up by something that fails to produce much in the way of anything positive for us.

As the saying goes though, a picture is worth a thousand words.  So here is a photo recap of life lately!

Tega Cay Easter Egg Hunt

Easter picture at church

Pooping on the potty!

Going for a walk

Nascar Hall of Fame outing

Just LJ being cute!

Floating on the float!

Ellis and one of her biggest fans!

Just talking with Daddy while we ski!

 The butterflies we raised...

...and set free!

Even though the last one didn't want to leave.


Logan and his sweet Aunt Alma

Working on our show skiing skills!

Freddie and Lois up to no good I'm sure

 Learning to "Shark Ski"!  Thanks Mrs. Becky!

Always an adventure with Dee Dee!
 Tubing with friends is the best! 

Freddie's preschool teachers who we adore and miss so much!

 Just chillin' on my Shark Ski

 Just a portion of the wildlife around here

The picture of summer fun!

His favorite place!

 Happy Fourth of July!
Our Noosa float in the Tega Cay Fourth of July Land Parade
No July 4th Parade is complete without a visit from the
Super Noosa Bug Man!

Some family time on the water!

Thank you Lord for all of these blessings!

1 comment:

BT said...

Ellen,
The pictures were precious and your update was heartfelt. Thank you for sharing. I miss you all. Maybe we will be by to visit sometime while we are in Charlotte.

Prayers for output!

A lot has changed in almost 17 years of hospital stays.  The beds feel smaller, the bathroom seems smaller and the pull out ‘couch’ Fred and...