Tuesday, April 23, 2013

How it all turned out

Today is new and beautiful and much brighter than yesterday to me, all thanks to the wise words of my precious 6 1/2 year old.

At dinner last night we were talking...about animals.  For those of you who know him, you completely understand.  We talk about animals, a lot.  He spits out facts about every kind of animal you can imagine and some you've likely never even heard of.  We even play guessing games.  To think that at one point in time I thought there was only one type of eagle.  Now I know better.  Although I'm still pretty bad at the guessing game.

So he mentioned, as he has before, that he wanted to take care of animals when he grows up.  The conversation went a little like this.

Freddie: "Mommy, I want to take care of animals from Asia to Canada."

Me:  "What do you want to do for the animals?"

Freddie: "Help them get back into the wild."

Me: "Oh cool.  Like you've seen on TV."

Freddie: "Yea.  Like on Wild Kratts.  But I only want to do it if Logie can be with me.  I only want to go as long as Poopies (his affectionate name for his little brother) is right there with me."

Immediate tears flooded my eyes, after I had wondered earlier why I couldn't seem to cry anymore to release some of this anxiety and tension.

I didn't try to hide them.  I walked over to Freddie, knelt down by his chair, hugged him and explained they were happy tears.  He said he could see them getting ready to fall out of my eyes and he helped wipe them away.  Then he asked me why some people love other people so much they cry happy tears.

As I walked into the kitchen, trying to take in all that he just said, I hear this:

Freddie: "And Mama, I want to take care of the animals and serve God."

More tears.

Me: "What do you mean?"

Freddie: "I mean I want to help God take care of what He created."

These boys are teaching us every single day.  And I'm pretty convinced that was God's plan all along.

As dinner wound down we also talked about his little brother and the fact that he is different.  I asked Freddie if it ever bothered him that Logan couldn't do things that other kids could do.  And he responded.

Freddie: "No way Mama.  I understand his Epilepsy.  I've watched you feed him a lot and I understand he can't help it."


This is one conversation that found its home in my heart immediately.  Thankful and grateful don't even cut it.  There will never be words for how much I love my family.


No comments:

Prayers for output!

A lot has changed in almost 17 years of hospital stays.  The beds feel smaller, the bathroom seems smaller and the pull out ‘couch’ Fred and...