Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Things I've Learned Part II

A change has slowly been occurring deep within my soul.  It's wonderful and life altering, but it's not exactly a pain free process.

As I watch the coverage of the latest attack by evil against good, I realized that this life altering change is not just within me.  So much is at work in this world.  And depending on how we choose to look at it, we can see the good or the bad.

Without any effort on my part, the highlight reel that continues to play out in my head involves all that is happening, all that has happened and all that is yet to come.  At least what I know of that I expect to come, even though life changes with each passing second.

I've learned that I'm sick of cliché type statements.  Even though they may seem to apply.  Instead of this being the story of my life, I'm choosing to write my own story, with God taking the lead.

And I very often need to sweat the small stuff.  That's the stuff that needs my sweat and it matters.

And the dishes and laundry will wait....for who?  They will continue to pile up and no one will have anything to wear or eat off of.  Sure, they have their place and time, but they will not wait forever.  And I don't know about you, but my family is so much happier and life seems so much smoother when things are clean and as neat as we can accomplish around here. So I agree, they will wait, but let's be real.

I've learned that patience is key in my daily life.  It's the key that unlocks the door to happiness or the door to frustration in all of its forms.

I've learned that I cannot stand to hear people whine about life.  Mine is not harder than anyone else's, mine is just mine.  Which means yours is yours...and you need to handle it.  Vent all day long, I can take that.  Get it out, figure it out and then move forward. Imperfect progress is still progress (thank you Lysa TerKeurst!) But to whine because life is not fair or too hard or not what you signed up for?  Then quit or change something.  Apparently my patience key unlocks the door to intolerance also.

I've learned that I have even less patience for people who do not take responsibility for their own actions.  All of their actions, not just the good, fun and noteworthy actions.  But the ones that are mistakes, total screwups, embarrassing and the ones that hurt others.

I've learned that there is more good in the world that counteracts the evil that seems to be running rampant, but we have to seek it out and then exploit the daylights out of it!  As long as we continue to thrive on filling our world with news and information about all of the bad, that's what will continue to get the most notice.

I've learned that (thanks to posts on Facebook and even the media) Mister Rogers still has such beautiful things to say and lessons to share from his mother.  I will now teach my children and try to always remember that when bad things happen to "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping."

I've learned that life is hard and beautiful and exciting and heartbreaking and simple...in the course of one day.

I've learned that I'm human and it's ok to be human, even in a world that often demands something else.

I've learned that all doctors are not created equal.  There are doctors, many of whom we have the privilege of knowing, whose souls were woven to care for others.  They love, they hurt, they advocate, they research and they believe in the little ones they care for.

I've learned that every time those precious blue flowers show up in my mailbox, it brightens my day.  And it teaches me, strengthens me and carries me a little further.

I've learned there is very little more precious than a true friend. Those who see it all, love you because of the messiness and make the world a better place simply because of who they are.

I've learned that children really do have a tough time.  We think it's so easy for them because they don't have a care in the world.  But 6 year old cares are as real as 37 year old cares.  They deserve love and understanding and help in figuring things out.  It's our job to help guide them, even if we have no idea what we are doing.

I've learned that everyone doesn't believe in God, many believe the exact opposite and think that those who do believe in God need to go away, or at the very least just be quiet.

I've learned that sweet, difficult to keep count of smiles and quality of life, are sometimes more important than reaching developmental milestones or filling the holes in a chart.

I've learned that even if people's hearts are in the right place in wanting to help, it isn't always help they are providing.

I've learned that it is hard to live in reality and the reality of who you are.  These days we have the reality that we create, the reality that we want and the reality that we can convey to others...often none of which are actually real.  Reality is hard and ugly and takes work to actually be beautiful and filled with content.

I've learned that there are times I grieve what I don't have, which causes me to be completely blinded to what I do have.  I will likely never be a soccer mom or show up to serve hot dogs at a Friday night football game.  But I have never been more passionate about the conservation of our earth or saving animals than I am because of a little blue eyed, very sensitive soul that fills my brain with more animal facts on a daily basis than I thought possible.

I've learned that some of the biggest challenges in Kindergarten are not reading and writing, but relationships and learning how to be confident in how wonderful you are.  All while embracing the differences in others and trying to grow up in an increasingly fast-paced world.

I've learned that I want to grow my own vegetables, hang my clothes on a line out back, get rid of technology and have my closest family and friends all live right here with us.

I've learned that I cherish so many things about my childhood, but not everything.  And I'm learning to pass on some of the beautiful parts while learning how not to pass on the yucky stuff.

I've learned that people are human too.  They don't always get it right, or wrong.  They deserve grace and understanding, patience and love.

I've learned I can only change me.

I've learned that so many families are living with sick little ones, and many are gracefully watching as their little ones find their new home in heaven.  My heart both bleeds and rejoices.  It doesn't make much sense...any of it. But it is very real.

I've learned that friends and family will go through struggles.  People we never met will change our lives by what they endure.  And they will do it with a strength that seems impossible.

I've learned that life is good and worth living to the fullest.  It's worth taking moment by moment, fully embracing what is happening RIGHT NOW.

I've learned that as hard and exhausting and impossible as this all may seem, we can do this.

I've learned I don't need nearly as much sleep as I thought.

1 comment:

Marie said...

I'm with you sister! I love this - a lot of it rings true to me, but particularly these parts:

I've learned that there are times I grieve what I don't have, which causes me to be completely blinded to what I do have. I will likely never be a soccer mom or show up to serve hot dogs at a Friday night football game. But I have never been more passionate about the conservation of our earth or saving animals than I am because of a little blue eyed, very sensitive soul that fills my brain with more animal facts on a daily basis than I thought possible.

I've learned that some of the biggest challenges in Kindergarten are not reading and writing, but relationships and learning how to be confident in how wonderful you are.


Charlie's not in kindergarten yet, but we're struggling with confidence issues and sensory issues (which make physical sports ill-advised) and sensitivities. I'm proud to be raising a sensitive boy, but sometimes my heart hurts for him since the world doesn't always celebrate sensitivity in boys. And the school system we're working with doesn't seem to give the kind of weight to social/confidence issues as I'd like...so I'm learning how to be a vocal advocate for my kid, and how to trust that I may not have the experience they do, but I know my kid better than they do!

Prayers for output!

A lot has changed in almost 17 years of hospital stays.  The beds feel smaller, the bathroom seems smaller and the pull out ‘couch’ Fred and...