Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Finally...a new post!

This post actually started about three days ago and here I am on the first day of 2010 trying to complete it. Basically I just started over. It's been a busy time for us as I'm sure it's been for everyone!

Here are the basics of how the last week or so has gone.

Leaving Cabo...

Dee Dee goes for a surf that morning and we are running about 20 minutes late getting to the airport, however we get there in plenty of time...De Anne and her brother are good at that!

De Anne's flight is cancelled (Cabo to Dallas, Dallas to Charlotte), we are able to get her on my first flight (Cabo to Houston), but not on the final leg (Houston to Charlotte)...after a ton of trying and about 45 minutes the only option is for her to fly into Chicago with a layover and arrive in Charlotte late....but we decide it's better than having to stay overnight in Texas.

My flight...I almost missed it in Houston. I only had about 30 minutes to get through customs, check my baggage, take the tram and find my gate. I was able to cut in line, almost punched a guy out for being extremely rude, got stopped while they were checking my baggage, the tram was almost delayed....but, I made it. Thank goodness!!!!

Home!

It was wonderful to come home. Fred picked me up at the airport, both boys were sleeping peacefully when I got hom and Fred had saved all of the Christmas cards for me to open....I LOVE Christmas cards! The only problem was that I had been having trouble sleeping for the last couple of nights in Mexico, I had developed a pretty bad sore throat and I was not feeling great. Nana had planned to spend the night and take care of Logan so I could settle in and try and get a full night's sleep. Fred had to pick De Anne up at the airport around 1:30am, Nana was up with Logan quite a bit and I couldn't sleep...again. Oh well, I think Freddie slept all night at least!

Christmas itself was wonderful! For the first year we attended our church's family Christmas Eve service. There are live animals and sanctuary full of excited kids! It was wonderful to hear the low buzz of all the kids during the service. There is just something about the excitement of a child at Christmas time. We all went - Freddie, Logan, Fred, me, Dee Dee, Nana and Papa. Logan slept through most of the service and I have to tell you, when he was asleep in my arms while we were singing Silent Night, and I could see Freddie's sweet little face by candlelight - I don't think there is anything that can compare. Logan honestly looked like an angel. It's a moment in time I hope and pray I will forever remember.

Christmas Day was actually pretty calm for us this year and Freddie is really getting the whole present thing now. Although I have to say it was heart warming to see his face light up after opening one new train. We could have stopped there and he would have been just fine. It was us that went overboard. When you have to keep encouraging your child to open another present, it should probably be an alert to you that you bought too much. Either way, he had a blast and has enjoyed his additional trains and tracks to help complete his Thomas collection! I doubt we will ever have it all, but we are well on our way.

The characters from the movie Cars are still a huge hit around here as well, so we now have new Maters, Docs and Sheriffs which all get quite the workout. He also got a trampoline with handlebars that is small enough to use in the house. He loves it!!! And it's great because he is getting exercise when we are not able to get outside.

Logan got a few new toys and just generally enjoyed watching all of the "happenings" around the house! He loves all the excitement and when Dee Dee is in town. We took it pretty easy, watched a couple of movies each night and De Anne left to head back to NYC on Saturday. My sister and her family were in town on Saturday as well, so it was a big day for everyone. 

On Sunday Nana kept Logan so Fred and I could both attend Sunday School and the church service. I can't even tell you what that did for my heart and soul. Our church family is more amazing that I could ever explain and the love that we felt being there that day was unreal. As my mom said, it helped to renew me. My trip to Mexico was one type of renewal, but the Holy Spirit....I don't know how anyone lives without it.

Life has been rather tough this week. A few weeks ago we tried giving Logan cereal again. He has to take one of his medications with food each night (usually either applesauce or pears) so he actually does well with a spoon, but the oatmeal we fed him did not settle well at all. Or, maybe it was a virus. Fred and I were all but convinced that he had a reaction to the oatmeal, but after talking with the nurse and our pediatrician we all decided it must have been a virus. It started out like food poisoning for the first 12 hours or so then he developed a fever, but after that got back to normal pretty quickly. That was a while back, so this week Nana and I decided it try it again. On Monday around lunchtime we tried. He had a couple of bites and was pretty fussy, which is not altogether unusual, so we stopped. A couple of hours later it was all coming back up and it doesn't stop until he is literally exhausted. This time there were even specs of blood included in what was coming up. Sorry for the graphic nature of this, but not sure how else to explain it all. 

We were scheduled to go in to our pediatrician's office this week anyway to have blood work done, so on Tuesday we decided to have Logan checked out while we were there. She checked everything and we could not find anything wrong at all, but this episode was exactly like the one before. We are currently waiting on food allergy test results that they are running on his blood. Everything else came back normal though. 

We get back home and try to get him back on track. Over the next 24 hours he develops a high fever and congestion....I think he now has my cold. UGH! So on Wednesday we head back to the doctor to get a prescription for his ear infection. He is just finishing up medicine for thrush that he somehow developed again and now he is taking an antibiotic which usually causes thrush! I tell ya', this poor child cannot catch a break. So each night he has been sleeping basically sitting up...at least as much as possible. He is taking a ton of medicine and his sneezes don't even come out because he is so congested. We keep shooting saline up his nose, suctioning out his nose and mouth and try to make him as comfortable as possible. It's awful to see him so sick. The only saving grace is that his seizures have not been worse, and from what we understand they actually should be worse when he is sick or has a fever. He continues to prove that he doesn't fit any mold!

Break....

So the above section was completed on New Year's Day. Today is January 5th and tomorrow will be day 3 at Levine's Children's Hospital. I told you things have been crazy for the last few weeks. 

Basically we ended last week with a trip to the pediatrician's office on Saturday because Logan had a pretty rough cough...one that resembled RSV. I remembered the sound from when Freddie had it when he was about 4 months old. Sure enough, the test came back positive and his ear infection was also still pretty bad, so we left with a new antibiotic prescription and plans for breathing treatments. He did okay rest of Saturday. Nana stayed Saturday night to be back up for us and on Sunday, he seemed to be turning a corner. Then as I was putting Freddie to bed, Fred noticed that Logan was having some strange facial expressions and movements and he was also having more trouble breathing. Long story short, we decided to head to the ER. With Logan having so many variables affecting his health, there are just times when we know we need to get him checked. 

We arrived to a packed waiting room and children coughing everywhere! Luckily we didn't have to wait too long. In triage we discovered his fever was back and his oxygen saturation levels were lower than they should be. Again, long story short we were admitted to Levine. 

So, here we are on Tuesday night. He has been on oxygen since we got here, but his levels look good. Now, because of the strange movements and what we believe could be a new type of seizure, he is hooked up to a 24 hour video EEG. Bless his heart. It's been a rough few days for our little guy. After being sick at home for almost a week, once we finally got to our room on Sunday night, it was more like Monday morning around 12:30. We got his meds in him around 1am and just about the time he finally fell asleep (after having what we believe were multiple episodes of a new type of seizure) two nurses came in to give him shots of antibiotics simultaneously in both legs. Once finally fell asleep though he slept pretty well. Monday he actually slept most of the day, b ut today his typical seizures were back. he had about six of them from about 8:30am until about 3pm, he was hooked up to the EEG, which involves gluing the electrodes to his head and he has his temperative taken about every four hours....and it's not always under his arm. He had a pretty tough day and now, at about 12:30am, he is still not able to drift off to sleep. Not sure what is going on, but he still seems restless. 

I have a million thoughts running around in my head, but I think for tonight I'll finally publish this post. Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to really finish this the way I would like, but I've just run out of steam today.

As Freddie prays....

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
To angels watch me through the night
Until I wake in morning light.

AMEN.
Sweet dreams.

No comments:

Prayers for output!

A lot has changed in almost 17 years of hospital stays.  The beds feel smaller, the bathroom seems smaller and the pull out ‘couch’ Fred and...