Friday, December 18, 2009

Safe and sound

So I made it to Mexico....safe and sound.  I've talked to everyone back home and they are all safe and sound.  Life is very good.

I have to confess something. I am still amazed at how something the size and weight of an airplane can fly through the sky to a far away destination while providing refreshments and possibly entertainment. I planned on keeping that to myself until I returned for fear of somehow jinxing my trip back, but then I thankfully remembered that God is in control anyway, so jinxing is kind of a silly idea.

Overall it was a great day yesterday, as far as the trip was concerned. The airport in Charlotte was filled with military personnel - apparently from a basic training camp in Fort Jackson - all headed home for Christmas.  It was seriously overwhelming. I tried to ask one of the guys if they were actually headed home and when he responded "Yes, ma'am" with a sweet smile, the tears started. All I could say to him was "Thank you.  You made my day!" before I couldn't speak. Why did those words come out? It wasn't about me, but I truly meant it as an excitement for them that all of the men and women that were in that airport were headed home for the holidays. I realize that they are not technically on the battlefields yet, but that's where they are headed, willingly. It took a while for me to get my emotions under control again.

I also met a sweet couple who pastor a church in Fort Mill. They were there with their 3 year old and 11 month old. They had a mix up with their flight and had been at the airport since 5am. When I met them it was around 8:30am and they had not fallen apart. She said they were on standby waiting to get a on a flight. They would still have to stop in Dallas and Seattle, pick up a rental car in Seattle and drive to Vancouver. Did I mention the two little ones? Wow. Life was so easy for me at that point, whatever may happen.

The rest of the trip went something like this...De Anne and I found each other in Dallas, enjoyed a snack in the American Airlines Admirals Club (love traveling with Dee!), tried to find magazines and an ATM, had to run to catch our flight when we found out we were at the wrong gate (we were going to San Jose Cabo, not San Juan) only to find out they had not yet started boarding, had a fairly empty flight to Mexico, took a 20 minute cab ride and ended up at one of the most enjoybale places in Mexico I've been...Cabo Surf Hotel (http://www.cabosurfhotel.com/). We sat by the pool, sat in the hot tub, walked down to the ocean, had a leisurely dinner (and some of the best gucamole I've ever had), watched a movie and I was still asleep by 10pm. Everyone is so laid back and kind here, I'm not sure there could be a more perfect place. Right now I'm sitting in the lobby, listening to spa type music and sound of the waves, with a gentle breeze blowing through the open windows and doors. There's even a decorated Christmas tree behind me! Sorry, I'm definitely not trying to rub it in as I know most of you reading this are dealing with a little wintry weather today. It's just very calming here and I am extremely grateful.

Today we are headed to the surf shop to get some sunscreen and maybe some gear for the boys back home and then....nothing. Nothing else is on the agenda for today. Wow. Tomorrow we go on a surf adventure to find waves. For some reason the ocean doesn't realize that it is supposed to provide waves all the time at the Cabo Surf Hotel, so we're going to check out somewhere nearby. De Anne will surf and I will enjoy the beach...no surfing for me, at least that's what I'm planning.

I miss my family tremendously. I know they are all fine, but it's not the same as being there, knowing what is going on every minute. I think being out of the country is good though, because I can't use my phone to call every minute. De Anne's phone works, so they can reach me if they need to. That has to be enough for now.

Freddie had a great holiday program last night for school...I still can't believe I missed it. Fred said that he didn't sing a word of the 3 songs they sang, although he knew them by heart and he looked a little lost up there.  I'm not sure that you can expect much more out of a 3 year old who is on stage in front of huge crowd for the first time, so the fact that he participated and was up there with everyone means it was great.  Plus he woke up the night before around 3am and didn't go back to sleep until somewhere around 5am. Poor Fred, he had a long day yesterday too. But Pa (Fred's dad) is in town for a few days, which is great because Freddie loves playing with him and it's a great distraction while I'm gone.

Logan also seems to be doing well. Nana said that he slept well last night, so that is a step in the right direction. Lately his seizures have been worse and some days they bother him almost all day, but we're still on an increase of the medicine so it's wait, hope, pray and see if it kicks in to stop them! We also think that he may be getting his first teeth! I have this feeling that they will come in while I'm gone. Oh well, can't really do much about that now, right?

I'm off to the pool for a few mintues to wait for De Anne. I can't beleive some of the words I'm typing. I wish everyone could enjoy time like this...just the calmness and the relaxing feeling of watching palm trees gently blow in the wind. Thank you God, thank you family and thank you Cabo.

2 comments:

Becky Fox said...

ahhhh...ellen! What a wonderful trip so far! Wait? You forgot to mention the smooth, cool feeling of that first adult beverage?? ahhhh...make the most of it! We are enjoying reading of your adventures. Brrr....it's cold here! Sled-riding and hot chocolate for everyone! -

Tara Bennett said...

Hooray for Cabo! I'm soooooo jealous!

Prayers for output!

A lot has changed in almost 17 years of hospital stays.  The beds feel smaller, the bathroom seems smaller and the pull out ‘couch’ Fred and...